kerrypolka

Kerry

Hello! I live in London, and I like reading about history, travel and literature. I also like good non-fiction about things I don't know about yet, and adventures.

Eurydice Street: A Place in Athens
Litza Jansz, Stuart Hood
Women, Travel Writing, and Truth
Clare Broome Saunders
Progress: 37 %
Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers
J.K. Rowling, Emily Walcker, Jean-François Ménard
Progress: 10 %
Henry VI, Parts I, II and III - Jonathan Bate, Eric Rasmussen, William Shakespeare

The Henry VIs are my favourite Shakespeare plays and this is a good edition of them from the RSC, with clear and conscious editorial choices - the RSC argues that the Folio, which reflects the choices of people who actually knew Shakespeare and worked in his company, is the closest to Shakespeare's versions of the plays as texts to read. A lot of free Shakespeares are based on a Victorian text that's a bit bowdlerised and not very thoughtfully edited, and the RSC has the resources and the will to make thoughtful editions.

The ancillary material is good, in the back, though I'm annoyed as ever by editors smooshing all three plays together but not giving three times the analytical space, as if they're automatically inferior plays because they go together, and not worth the pages. Even more annoyingly, a fair bit of that analytical space is taken up by Richard Gloucester/Richard III, who has his own damn play and people can talk about him there.

Still the RSC editions are probably my favourite modern editions of Shakespeare, except for their really dire Kindle formatting (I'm sure they have the resources to fix it, which makes it even more frustrating), but since I read this in print I'm happy with it.